I'm 33, planning a wedding, caring for five senior rescue dogs, looking for gainful employment, and trying to live (more) sustainably. These are my adventures.

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Paper Lantern Saga....

Our wedding is in June at the Codman Estate in Lincoln, MA. I'm pretty excited about the lovely gardens and grounds, as it will require very minimal added decorations and such. Being outdoors, the only down side is a required tent rental just in case the weather is less than ideal. No big deal, but man can tents be boring.

So, thanks to Pinterest, the ideas of Christmas lights and paper lanterns to spruce up the bland tent is coming to be a reality. I'd say hooray, but the effort that (so far) this is requiring is a bit on the ridiculous side.

First problem: our colors. Navy blue and gold were my fiancé's idea. I didn't feel strongly enough about any specific colors and a decision needed to be made. I'm happy with the colors, but they make decorating a bit of a challenge. Navy blue is easy enough to find (usually), but to find an actual gold color and not yellow has proven to be tough. But I have actually found paper lanterns in blue and gold. But do I want navy or some lighter color blue that will throw the light better? And do I need gold for the same reason?

Second problem: shipping. On Amazon I found a 10 pack of 10" gold lanterns at a decent price. But to add on $7 worth of shipping, I'm less than thrilled. And of course, the ones available through Prime are sold out. Also on Amazon were 10 10" blue lanterns at $0.98 apiece-- not a bad price at all. But oh, wait... $75 for shipping? Are you kidding me? Scratch that idea. So now I'm looking on alternate websites.

Third problem: when on earth will these things be hung?? The morning of? Eek.

Fourth problem: how to light them up. We are considering glow sticks and LED battery tea lights. When some finally arrive I'll give it the old college try. But it doesn't solve the problem of their being lit when we need them lit rather than all day long.

I also found some tacky orange 24" stars that will be hung as well. I'm ok with them adding a new color to the mix, but not knowing how the tent will be set up adds another question to the mix.

The key for me will be doing this all as inexpensively as possible. The five stars were $20 including shipping, and I don't want to turn this into a $100 deal. Ideally, if I could do it for another $20-$25, I'd be happy. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment