I'm 33, planning a wedding, caring for five senior rescue dogs, looking for gainful employment, and trying to live (more) sustainably. These are my adventures.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Jewelry DIY- not as easy as I'd hoped

I know what you're thinking.  It should be easy enough to DIY some strings of beads and make them look like what I'm hoping them to look like-- right?

Well, yes and no.

The idea itself is really simple.  Just put things together and go at it.  But it seems like the advice I received on the internet just wasn't up to par-- shocker.  That's of no fault to Fire Mountain Gems (which, by the way, has EXCELLENT shipping times and customer service)-- they didn't give me that recommendation.  They recommended wire.  But the internet tutorials from other sites looked SO EASY with this stuff, and I know how I am when I'm drinking, so... yeah.

First, multiple sites recommended using Powercord.  I don't know if the assumption was that glass beads weren't as heavy, and the stretchiness of the cord would be beneficial, but not for my purposes.  These glass beads are heavy as hell.  And yes, the Powercord droops.  Especially with a ton of weight on it.  Which these beads have.

And overall, I'm not sure if I just didn't expect the necklaces to look like this, or what... but they kind of remind me of Indian corn.  They've had positive reviews from those I've shown them to, but they're still not what I'm hoping to do.

Today's plan?  Giving it the old college try with some string and not worrying about using more beads than are necessary to get the look I want.  I can always go and buy more beads.  It's not ideal, but it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment